Our mission at The Ad Learning Exchange is to help you accelerate your career and grow your professional network. To do that, we provide you personalized course content we think you will be interested. In order to personalize this content, we need to collect information from you. We only use that information where we have a proper legal basis for doing so.
Collection of Information
Your data is used to help us provide, support, personalize, and develop our Services. We do not sell your personal information for the intents and purposes of the California Consumer Privacy Act (CCPA).We collect the following information:
- When you sign up or use ALEx, you are required to provide:
- Your first and last name
- Email address
- Depending on the features or services you wish to use, we may also collect:
- Company name and title
- Profile photo
- Course notes
- Location data or photos
- Any additional information you provide us
- If you buy content on ALEx, we collect payment information, contact information, and details of what was bought.
- We collect the data when a form is filled out or a survey receives responses When you share an article or a post (e.g., an update, image, video or article) it can be viewed by ALEx and your connections, and be re-shared.
- Lesson comments are visible to ALEx and other learners in the course.
We collect the information above when you use The Ad Learning Exchange or any of our sites or apps.Whenever you use any website, mobile application, or internet service certain information gets created and logged automatically by the provider. The same is true when using the ALEx platform. We automatically track and collect certain non-personal information, such as:
- Log data. When you use ALEx, our servers record information (“log data”) that your browser automatically sends whenever you visit a website, or that your mobile app automatically sends when you’re using it. This log data includes your Internet Protocol address, searches, browser type and settings, the date and time of your request, how you used ALEx, cookie data, and device data.
- Device information. In addition to log data, we collect information about the device(s) you use to access The Ad Learning Exchange. This includes the type of device, operating system, settings, unique device identifiers, and crash data that helps us understand when something breaks. Whether we collect some or all of this information often depends on what type of device you are using and its settings. For example, different types of information are available depending on whether you’re using a Mac or a PC. To learn more about what information your device makes available to us, please check the policies of your device manufacturer or software provider.
Use of InformationWe use your information to provide, enhance, personalize, and improve our services for you. In order to do this, it’s necessary for us to use your information to:
- Identify when you use The Ad Learning Exchange and process your transactions.
- Recommend courses, content providers, topics, or categories you might like based on your learning history and searches.
- Respond to your questions or comments.
- Allow other users to find your profile, suggest connections for you and others (e.g. users who share your connections or courses), and enable you to invite others to become a user and connect with you.
- Conduct analytics on who is using The Ad Learning Exchange and what they are doing.
- Improve The Ad Learning Exchange and offer new features.
- Send you updates, such as when comments or instructor feedback are posted, and news by email or push notification, depending on your settings.
We use your data to produce and share aggregated insights that do not identify you. For example, we may use your data to generate statistics about our users,, calculate ad impressions served or clicked on, or publish visitor demographics for a Service or demographic workforce insights.
In addition, we may use your information to promote our Services to you and to others. To do this we use data about our users for communications promoting learning opportunities, networking, and our Services. We will only send you marketing material if you've agreed to it, but you can easily unsubscribe at any time.
Choices Regarding Your InformationIf you have an ALEx account, many of the choices you have are built directly into The Ad Learning Exchange or your settings. For example, you can:
- Edit information in your profile at any time or choose whether others can find your ALEx account using the connection search.
- Choose whether your purchases on The Ad Learning Exchange will be used to customize recommendations and ads for you. You can view and manage your purchase history by going to “Order history” in your Settings. However, if you hide a purchase from your history, we will not be able to use it to customize The Ad Learning Exchange for you.
- Close your account at any time.
We support the Do Not Track browser Setting and you can learn more about how it affects our collection and use of offsite data.You also have choices available to you through the device or software you use to access ALEx. For example:
- The browser you use lets you control cookies or other types of local data storage.
- Your mobile device lets you choose how and whether your location, photos, advertising identifiers and other data is shared with us.
To learn more about these choices, please see the information provided by your device or software provider.If you're an European Economic Area (EEA) user, you can also:
- Access the information we hold about you. We usually share this with you within 30 days of your request.
- Have your information corrected or deleted. You can update your information in your Settings, but if you have any issues updating the information or if you would like us to delete it, contact us.
- Object to us processing your information. You can ask us to stop using your information, including when we use your information to send you marketing emails or course recommendations. If you opt-out of receiving marketing messages from us, we may still send you newsletters and updates about your account, such as when another user comments on one of your posts or when a content provider grades an exercise.
- Have the information you provided to us sent to another organization, where we hold this information with your consent or for the performance of a contract with you, where it's technically feasible.
- Complain to a regulator. If you're based in the EEA and think that we haven't complied with data protection laws, you have a right to lodge a complaint with your local supervisory authority.
Sharing Your InformationSome of the ways we use your information requires us to share it with Course providers and third parties to provide our Service, make sure our customization capabilities are effective, and ensure compliance with laws that govern us. We share your information with:
- Your instructors. We share limited information with Course providers from whom you purchase courses so that they may analyze your progress, performance, and engagement in course material and optimize your learning.
- Third party companies that we use to improve the delivery and performance of course recommendations.
- Law enforcement agencies or government agencies. We only share information if we believe that disclosure is necessary to comply with a law, regulation or legal request; to protect the safety, rights, or property of the public, any person, or The Ad Learning Exchange; or to detect, prevent, or otherwise address fraud, security or technical issues.
- Our wholly owned subsidiaries and affiliates. If we were to engage in a merger, acquisition, bankruptcy, dissolution, reorganisation, or similar transaction or proceeding that involves the transfer of the information described in this Policy, we would share your information with the party involved (for example, a potential purchaser).
We currently do not share personal data with third parties for their direct marketing purposes without your permission.
Storing Your Information
We retain your personal data while your account is in existence to provide The Ad Learning Exchange to you and fulfill the purposes described in this policy. This is also the case for anyone that we share your information with (such as the parties mentioned in the section above) and who carries out services on our behalf. When we no longer need to use your information and there is no need for us to keep it to comply with our legal or regulatory obligations, we will either remove it from our systems or depersonalize it so that we cannot identify you.
Children under 13 are not allowed to use The Ad Learning Exchange. If you are based in the EEA you may only use The Ad Learning Exchange if you are over the age at which you can provide consent to data processing under the laws of your country or if verifiable parental consent for your use of The Ad Learning Exchange has been provided to us. If you are a parent and you learn that your child is using The Ad Learning Exchange and you do not want them to, please contact us.
Transferring Your Information
The Ad Learning Exchange is a worldwide service. By using our products or services, you authorize us to transfer and store your information outside your home country, including the United States, for the purposes described in this policy. The privacy protections and the rights of authorities to access your personal information in such countries may not be equivalent to those of your home country.
We take reasonable steps to monitor, protect, and prevent security breaches. We implement security safeguards designed to protect your data, such as HTTPS. We regularly monitor our systems for possible vulnerabilities and attacks. However, no internet service is ever fully secure, so we cannot warrant the security of any information that you provide us or we collect. There is no guarantee that data may not be accessed, disclosed, altered, or destroyed by breach of any of our physical, technical, or managerial safeguards. In the event there is a security breach, the Ad Learning Exchange will promptly notify our users in compliance with applicable laws.
As aforementioned, we retain some of your data even after you close your account. If you choose to close your ALEx account, your personal data will generally stop being visible to others on our Services within 24 hours. We generally delete closed account information within 30 days of account closure, except as noted below.
We retain your personal data even after you have closed your account if reasonably necessary to comply with our legal obligations (including law enforcement requests), meet regulatory requirements, resolve disputes, maintain security, prevent fraud and abuse, enforce our Community Guidelines, or fulfill your request to “unsubscribe” from further messages from us.
Information you have shared with others (e.g., through Connect or lesson discussions) will remain visible after you have closed your account or deleted the information from your own profile. We cannot control data that other users may have copied out of ALEx. Your profile may continue to be displayed in the services of others (e.g., search engine results) until they refresh their cache.
Changes to This Policy
Data Controllers and Contracting Parties
If you reside in the United States: (need business name) will be the controller of your personal data provided to, or collected by or for, or processed in connection with our Services; you are entering into the User Agreement with (need business name).
If you reside in the EEA: (need business name) will be the controller of your personal data provided to, or collected by or for, or processed in connection with our Services; you are entering into the User Agreement with (need business name).